Pages

Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Metamorphosis Has Begun

Sometime, for some reason, at some point, everyone thinks about retirement.  My retirement travel bug started about 10 years ago when a coworker started planning to retire at age 55 and knew exactly what she wanted, which was to move to Colorado to be near family.  Six years later, she retired and followed her path.
 
I, on the other hand, had no clue, and believed I would just work till I dropped.  Somewhere, the seed was planted, or should I say the egg was laid for my butterfly travel bug.  So far, it looks like I am following the life cycle of my travel bug (egg, larva, pupa, and adult). 
 
My egg stage was basically the decision stage.  What do I want to do?  Work until I drop? Go back to school?  Take hobby classes?  Live somewhere really cheap so I can get back into the horse life? 
 
Somewhere between discovering the Motion TV show on the Livewell network, and the release of the movie The Bucket List (2007), I soon realized how much I wanted to see all of the beautiful places in our country and began my own bucket list.  From there it was a sort leap from how to do this, to the point of get an RV and go in any direction the wind blows.
 
Right now I’m somewhere in the larva, or caterpillar stage, but instead of eating and eating and eating; I’m researching and researching and researching. 

After going to the 2013 Chicago RV show, the first bit of research and decision was what kind of RV do I want?  An RV to drive or an RV to pull with another vehicle?  Driving an RV meant possibly having to tow another vehicle like a car or SUV (which I’ve come to learn is called a dingy or toad (so much lingo!) and having two vehicles to insure.  But pulling an RV (more lingo – a travel trailer or TT) gives you a vehicle for use when the RV is parked.
 
Then the online research began.  Finding RV websites, watching RV videos, trying to find people that RV, joining an RV forum run by and for women, and going to more RV shows and dealers. 
 
A decision has been made!  Drumroll please ~~~ buy an RV I can drive!  For my needs, to travel and not stay in one spot makes sense.  Plus if a runaround car is needed for any extended period of time, I’ve learned some people just rent a car in those cases.  Makes sense to me.  Later I can always decide to pull a dingy, but first things first. 

"Now what?” turned into going to more RV shows and RV dealers to determine what floor plan and amenities I’d want to have.  At first I thought, the smallest for the cheapest price, but soon realized that if the RV were to become my home (no more sticks and bricks for me), I’d want a little more room and a few more luxuries.  Okay, I’ll do without the ceiling fans, fireplaces, and washer and dryer because I’m not rich, but something homey.
 
Decision made (kind of)!  Sounds easy right?  NO! For something so small compared to a house, there are so many that are similar but different in layout.  A or C class?  How many slides?  What size are the slides? Where is the bed located, how is the kitchen laid out, how much kitchen storage and counter space? Does it have a couch?  Should eating area be a dinette, or U-shape or table?  How many does it sleep?  Where is the shower?  Are there electric steps or a step well?  Is an over cockpit bed needed or should it be an entertainment center?  Is there pass through basement storage?  Is there under bed storage?  Then there are the mechanical aspects to learn.  Black water tank, grey water tank, generator, inverter, batteries, emergency battery start capabilities, self leveling, rear view and optional side view cameras. What constitutes a four season rig?  Outside TV? (Really?  If I’m watching TV, the weather is bad so doubt I’d be outside).  Most of these decisions mean a longer and longer RV.

So, after 2 trips to Rockford, and other trips to Pontiac, Peoria, Orland Park, and Barrington, IL plus Indiana (twice) and an overnight trip to Forest City, IA to the Winnebago factory, if I were to buy today, the winner is an Itasca Cambria 30J. 


Fingers crossed the floor plans and amenities don’t change too much before I’m ready to buy.  If they do, at least, I’ll have a good idea of what I’d like.  Hopefully, I can get an RV, practice and learn (Aha! The cocoon (pupa) stage) for a few years before the final metamorphosis into my butterfly travel bug and retirement!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment