Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Last Day of Summer 2013

It's the last day of summer 2013, weather is a beautiful 65 and sunny.  Since I didn't get too far in Kankakee with Zorro yesterday, decided to go to Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve after meeting Dad out in Elwood for breakfast. 

This preserve surrounds Argonne National Lab.  I've known about this preserve since I was a teenager.  Some people from the old stable hauled horses there for the trails.  Only saw 2 horses in a side parking lot.  Since I know by heart the Palos FP trails from 15 years of riding horses on them, I figured it was time to see Waterfall Glen from outside of a car. 

Argonne has a herd of white deer, but in (mumble mumble) years of driving thru and past  the preserve, I've never seen any, but they are still there.

Took the wrong way off the trail head so ended up on the north side of the loop.  I really need to read trail maps better.  This side of the trail was pretty boring.  Nothing to look at, the trees are right up to the path.  Walked about 4 1/2 miles round trip from the trail head to Westgate Road.  After this walk, drove around the area to refresh my memory of other parking areas.  If there is a next time, I think I'll get there early (very little parking there) and park by the outdoor education area.  From there the south loop would be a short walk towards the waterfall.
The preserve has well maintained gravel/limestone paths that are easily walkable.  The nice weather today brought out walkers, bikers, a couple of running groups and families with strollers.  No major hills, but just enough of a incline is some spots, to stress out the bad knee, which in turn, causes the bad back to act up, and then caused some funny walking.  Didn't get any blisters with the new hiking shoes, but felt one would start.  Good thing I turned around when I did instead of doing the entire loop.

This section of the loop was pretty peaceful, enough to be alone and gather my thoughts and look for wildlife.  One lone squirrel and 3 robins.  With the gravel path, the only noise heard was the  trail traffic coming or going, and basically white noise from I-55.
 Tear Thumb Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment