Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Sand Ridge Forest, Chautauqua & Emiquon

Really need to buy a new GPS.  I put in the address for Chautauqua and found signs for a state forest.  Let's go see!!!


It was dreary and overcast day.  Saw some hunters when I first got to the forest, so drove really slow in case any deer came running through.


One of the trails.  I'll have to look for a map and think about coming back next summer.

 Saw at least 2 campgrounds.  This was the horse campground. 

 The other campground beneath large pines.

On to Chautauqua.  I remembered seeing a sign when Mom & I went to Emiquon & Dickson Mounds earlier in the year. Just followed the signs.

I'd say the trail is handicapped accessible.  Gravel & boardwalk.

 Views from the board walk platforms.





 Telescope for wheelchair viewing on the platform

  So mad this picture didn't come out.  It was something furry sleeping in the tree.
 
Now on to Emiquon (sign from 1st visit. . .on a nice sunny day).

Lots of American Coots

Still trying to figure this one out. If you know, please tell me!
On edit:  One of the ladies from the rv forum helped identify.  It's a Gadwell.  Thanks Birdie!

 More coots.  Wish I could have gotten a picture of them running on top of the water.



1 comment:

  1. We've been to Sand Ridge and it's an interesting place. Just be careful. At certain times of year, the bugs are INSANE! Spoken from experience. lol

    We've never hiked at Chatauqua, but now I'm curious to check it out!

    ReplyDelete