Pages

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Lake Katherine Nature Center and Botanic Gardens

Went towards my high school area to see Lake Katherine Nature Center & Botanic Gardens .  It's relatively new.  Used to be just unused forest an illegal dumps next to the Cal Sag Channel.  Palos Heights has created a lovely little nature area.  Trail loop is only 1 mile and benches around the lake to sit and take in the view.

 
 

 
Pictures from the zinnia garden





Pineland princess


You wouldn't believe me so here's the sign


They have a small nature center.  I'm sure it's no relation, but this was my grandmothers name until they changed it to Beatrice on Ellis Island when she immigrated.



Westward view of the lake.  Canoes & kayaks can be rented for $8 an hour.

They have a herb and butterfly garden.  Throughout the preserve there are signs identifying most of the trees, bushes and flowers.

Pale cone flower

Phlox
 Black eyed Susan
View of the Cal Sag Channel
View east to the nature center




 Boat ramp on the Worth, IL side of the channel


I may be pretty bad a bird shots but I can always seem to spot turtles








 

No comments:

Post a Comment