Pages

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie

Beautiful day for a 5 mile walk around the Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie.  Temps in the low 70's and a strong breeze.  Being a prairie, and there being minimal shade, the day was perfect.
 
Information found is that it's the first tallgrass prairie established in 1996 and 19,165 acres of land in Illinois, donated from the U.S. Army to the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service.  Midewin was formerly the Joliet Army Ammunition Plant or Joliet Arsenal as it was known more recently.
This lovely little fellow set me on my way from the trail head. 

 
 Prairie wild flowers
My daily cow :-)
View of the prairie heading to the iron bridge.
 
 
Busy taking a pic of deer prints, when I looked up, too late, a doe was heading into the tree line.
 
 
Actually already at 2+ miles, this is a prairie trail I just left.
 Through the gate to the west bunker field
Back view of the west bunkers.  Skipped walking all the way to them, there are open bunkers for exploring on the way back to the trail head.
 Looks like some deer slept here recently
The main trail is gravel
 
This is a prairie trail I took to get off the gravel and continue on to the west bunkers.  Cut but overgrown prairie.
Only people  saw on the entire trail.  These ladies hauled in the horses.
The iron bridge (looks like an old train trestle)
Same cow herd on the way back.  They were closer to the fence now, an were very interested in watching me watching them.
Even the babies were curious
 
 
 
Number 13 here was sniffing the air a lot to get my scent.
 
 
My own private cattle drive.  They followed me for a bit along the fence line. 
(Videos may not work on iPads or android devices)
This little herd gives you an idea of how the prairie used to be.

Mom and calf outside of the fence.  I didn't see any broken fence line, so no idea how they got out.
Some of the bunkers on the east side.
Have to explore!
No idea how they made cement in the early 1900's, but I didn't see one crack.  This is what I'd call the perfect tornado shelter.  Underground and all cement.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment